Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Ghost Hunters, real or not?

I love to watch Ghosthunters. Its one of my favorite shows. It’s more ‘real’ than any other ghost show I’ve seen. Other shows try to ramp up the suspense and supposed scariness of what they’re doing. The people on screen throw every little thing out of proportion. I saw one show (can’t remember the name) that reminded me more of a “Supernatural” episode rather than something real. They tried to go in and get rid of a ghost haunting a child whom they deemed as ‘psychic like the main researcher’.

In Ghosthunters they try to debunk things first rather than finding ghosts with every scurrying bug in the house. Many times it’s the easiest of answers. Headlights flashing through a window onto a mirror or the wall. Doors and windows banging from the wind. Or electrical wiring that when left unprotected causes people to feel paranoid or uneasy.
In fact one time I saw that the owner of a bar and restaurant set it up so that the place would seem haunted with speakers and elaborate devices to make fixtures shake. I could tell the team was angry about that!

Speaking of the team it’s the people that make the show. I like how by watching we find out that these are real people. Jay is claustrophobic and has a bad habit of saying “Me and Grant” everytime instead of the proper “Grant and I”. They’ve had problems with a couple of their members especially the unreliable Brian whom they kick to the curb every season or so but they keep bringing him back. And Steve who’s been there since the beginning is afraid of everything BUT ghosts. Planes, spiders, small spaces, etc. And there are strong women on the show too like Donna who has converted over to Ghost Hunters International, their spin off show hunting in Europe (so far).

They have indeed found some ghosts and supernatural oddities on their hunts. The one that sticks out at me the most is one of the lighthouse episodes. They recorded something just a few flights up from them. You can see whatever it is move and look down from the top. Another more recent example is the Halloween show. Twice Grant’s collar was tugged down stopping him from walking away, all caught on tape.

However I have to admit that it is frustrating at times. Last nite I was watching an episode at an old fort used during the revolutionary and civil wars. Grant was sitting under ground in a dug out prison cell. The camera was on him when he was startled because he saw a face in the window to the next room. Another time Jay and Grant were at a Wild West saloon and hall when they saw a figure dash from the room down some stairs. The camera man was behind both walking up the stairs. Those times makes me wonder why they don’t carry hand held cameras or camcorders with them all the time? After a while of seeing things but not having recorded proof it gets a bit fishy. Then I start to doubt the validity of the show.
Is it all just an elaborate scheme? I mean it IS aired on the SCIFI channel. Science FICTION channel, that is. It’s the what if that makes it interesting. What if it is real? I guess that’s what keeps me watching.



No comments:

Post a Comment