Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Problem Solving: Tiny bedroom.




Why yes purple IS my favorite color. How did you know?


From the ages of 12 to 29 I had a daybed. I loved my daybed but I felt a bit childish in it. When I moved in 2009 I ditched my daybed for a full sized bed. Man was that extravagant. For me it was the height of luxury! So then in the late spring of 2011, my full size bed being only 2 years old, I felt silly getting a king size bed. The reasons were justified. We were getting married and both of us are overweight so we needed the room. When Chris is too close to me and snoring I feel the need to punch him in the nose. In a full size bed that would have been an eventuality. Lastly someday we’ll have kids that will want to cuddle in bed with us. (Only on thundery and nightmarish nights.)

In the apartment our bedroom was HUGE. Well, huge for an apartment in our area. I believe it was 12x14. So our big bed fit well in there. Then a year and a half after moving into the apartment we bought our house. The bedroom is I believe 10x11. (Seems more like inches than feet some days.) The way the bedroom is laid out our bed would only fit one way. Which gives us both little to no room on both sides. My husband’s beautifully handcrafted dresser is on one side and on mine my bookcase. No ordinary bookcase though. One of the times I moved I ditched my dresser which I had since I was very young. It was falling apart and I just couldn’t fix it anymore. Dressers are very expensive. Or rather nice dressers are very expensive. So instead I bought cloth cubes and used my large black bookshelf to hold them. Voila! Instant dresser. And it looks pretty nice. Though my bookcase could use some tlc. (Floor model at the store so it has some wear.) It looks nice and not what you’d expect. But the main reason I love it in the bedroom is because it takes up little space. It isn’t as deep as a dresser but it is taller so it hugs the wall nicely.


My Fred Flinstone protected "dresser".  

Dresser cube overly stuffed with 12-15 rolled t-shirts. 


Dresser issue solved!  One problem down. Six months into living at the house though I was sick of the clutter on my side of the bed. At first I used a small bookcase but that got old fast when I piled everything on top instead of using the shelves in the middle and bottom. Next I tried a round side table from the livingroom. For a while it worked but same problem, I would pile stuff on, around and under the table. *sigh* I was getting sick of tripping over stuff when I woke up. I needed a set amount of space so I wouldn’t jenga all the crap next to my bed.

The answer came in the over the door hanger I had bought at the apartment from Amazon. I was looking at it one day and thought, why can’t I hang this up on my wall and use it as my end table? Useful? Yes. Gorgeous? No.

So I talked my hubby into going to the local hardware store to get some wall mounting clips and screws.

Using the awesome drill he got for Christmas.

Wall Brackets from Ace Hardware. (Our local hardware store rocks)

Together we put the hanger/holder doohickey on the wall. And as a bonus we also put two hooks on the side of my bookshelf for shirts and tanks. I’m really proud of how it all turned out.

On the top level I put my Kleenex, pillow spray and white noise machine. Second level is a catch all for loose change, mints, lavender essential oil and vap-o-rub. The last level is my lazy level. I can reach that level lying in bed. The most important things are on that level: my dear 12 year old Nokia cell phone I all “BVrick” that I use as an alarm, my Iphone, clock and power strip. Since the ends are open I can slide my Nokia in and out the end to turn on, turn off or more likely hit snooze. The second level I slide my glasses in and out there too. So lovely, so dear, so perfectly fitting my needs.



Still looks messy with all the cords but believe me this is more organized than it was. A dream come true!
 So if you have a small space that you use daily but it is too cluttered don’t despair. Think out of the box and use unconventional space. Look up high, look low, on the walls hanging from the ceiling, anything to make life easier and less cluttered.





No comments:

Post a Comment