Thursday, July 15, 2010

Will you do me the honor of........ (picking the 'maids)












Will you do my the honor of.......

Ever since Chris slipped the ring on my finger and we started calling people we were getting two questions, when is the wedding and who are you asking to stand up for you? The first was easy, June 4th of next year. The second was um, well….difficult. I have so many awesome friends the list was too long. And even now I feel like I’m forgetting someone.

I deliberated over and over about who to ask. I looked at each person both through my heart and my head. My head said go with just four because that is what Chris came up with, four guys. (Though now he’s thinking about a fifth groomsman. Oh here we go again.) My heart said to hell with it! Have them all. Yeah all 11?! I don’t think so. My head then came up with the idea of a list of different needs to be fulfilled for the wedding. Greeter, personal attendant, day of coordinator, etc. From there my head said, take a look at everyone’s greatest strengths and weakness’ and go from there. I started to and was filling them when I ran out of things for people to do. Ugh.


Back to square one.
In my previous life I had this problem before. What I had done was to put all the names in a hat and pull them out. So one day at lunch (with absolutely no fanfare) that is what I did. And then I decided from the list whose strengths would best fulfill the needs I had listed.
Anti-climatic and very pragmatic but it worked.


Won't you be my neighbor.....um I mean bridesmaid?

I had started to make cards in anticipation that I would eventually come to a decision. I had seen someone who took folded paper and cut people out of them to ask their bridal party. It reminded me of the tag people I made for Chris’ birthday card announcing our trip to Duluth. So one night I made four tag people wearing different purple dresses. I made Amy and Mindy but left the other two hair less to be able to add the hairstyle of the other two as-then-unknown bridesmaids.

I gave them to Mindy and Amy on Mindy’s birthday and shortly thereafter I sent out the other two cards to Nellie and Jenn. It was great fun making them and fulfilled my must-do-something-crafty-for-the-wedding itch one nite. Plus it tickled the girls when they got them in the mail. Oh and to top it all off I made the envelopes too. Amy and Mindy’s was out of an old Dr Seuss book and Nellie and Jenn’s was out of sheet music. ;-) I’m a crafty woman! I must have an outlet for my creativity somehow! Argh!


No comments:

Post a Comment