Monday, August 16, 2010

True friendship is a poke in the butt

The women in my life.

This last weekend my sister and I saw the movie Grown Ups. Even with me being a huge movie buff I count this as my new favorite comedy. It seemed like a cross between Indian Summer, Cheaper by the Dozen 2, and Now and Then. It felt so real like someone’s home movies. It didn’t feel like acting and I can see the actors had a lot of fun making it. This got me to thinking about my group of friends and the friends I’ve had in my life. So today I want to talk about are the girls in my life. If it wasn’t for the girls who have supported me with their tears, my tears and our laughter I would be a different person today. Ask my mom, friendships mean a lot to me.

Let me explain. Back in school I was a bit of an outcast. Remember when being an outcast was bad, not good? Yeah, those days. Anyway I was a weird little kid, weird shy preteen and weirder teen. (I’m not throwing my own pity party, just stating facts.) In high school I finally started to get friends. In the 6th, 7th and 8th grades my friends were sort of the outcasts drawn together. I am thankful for those friendships, they got me through a lot. But in high school I started to get close, lasting friends. Also I started to grow up. My social finesse was quite lacking. For instance take how I met my best friend in high school. I came up to her in choir, introduced myself and asked her what she liked to collect. Then I said…… I collect rocks! (Pause for laughter) Yes, and she ended up my friend (still is!) even after that!

Then in college things changed. I really grew, I became less shy. Thankfully no more talk of rocks. Also I could talk to guys who weren’t close friends. Whoa. What’s happening?

So what I’m saying is I don’t take friendships lightly. Pretty much someone has to ignore me for a long time or say I don’t want to be your friend for me to not count them as a friend. Maybe that’s good, maybe that’s bad. It also means I don’t walk away from toxic relationships either. Thankfully though I think all of my closest friends aren’t toxic. Maybe fattening and cholesterol filled but not toxic. NOM NOM NOM French Fries and chocolate…..nom nom nom

I have so many close friends that I can tell anything to that I feel blessed. I have many not close friendships too and some acquaintances as well. But it is those close friends I hold in my heart. You know you’ve got a close friend when you can poke her in the butt walking up the stairs and all she does is goes slower on purpose or yells at you to knock it the hell off.

Ah, true friendship is a poke in the caboose.

No comments:

Post a Comment